Sunday, November 2, 2008

Grotto Pictures


I had tried to post these pictures before, but newbie flub-ups prevented it. These are from The Grotto of the Redemption in West Bend, Iowa. Tiny town with this "structure that spans about 1 block. It is beyond anything I've ever seen. We've been three times now. It's free (good will offering sort of deal). One priest designed and built the majority of this; handing over the last bit to a younger priest in his old age.

The first statue is Michael slaying Lucifer. So cool. I had been telling my kids that when they were scared to call on angels to protect them. I think they kept imagining soft, fluffy angels. This statue put into perspective God's warriors. It's my favorite statue at the Grotto.

It's hard to tell by the pics, but this is all created from rocks and shells (except the marble statues). He built all this by hand. Even the ceilings are encrusted.

I get a little lost in some of the Catholicism of it -- stations of the cross and such, but still it is an awesome spot. If ever you are in West Bend : First, come see us, we're only a half hour away. Second, definitely visit the Grotto.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: